Battery E of the 1st Regiment of the Michigan Light Artillery was organized in Grand Rapids, Albion and Marshall, Michigan, and was mustered into service on December 6, 1861. Battery E consisted of 327 soldiers. The battery suffered losses of 31 men during the war. The casualties consisted of two men drowned and 29 dying of various diseases.
A photograph of the actual battle flag, also known as a guidon, carried by Battery E during the war appears below.
Battery E left Michigan for Louisville, Kentucky, thence moved to Bacon Creek, Kentucky where it remained on duty until February of 1862. Battery E was then attached to Artillery, 5th Division, Army of the Ohio until June of 1862, then attached to the Artillery Reserve, Army of the Ohio until August of 1862.
Between August of 1862 and June of 1863, Battery E was posted to Nashville, Tennessee, as part of the Department of the Ohio and Cumberland. Still in Nashville, Battery E was assigned as part of army reorganization June 1863 to 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, Reserve Corps, Army of the Cumberland until October 1863, at which time Army of the Cumberland became Department of the Cumberland, and Battery E was attached to 4th Army Corps.
In February 1865, Battery E was assigned to the District of North Alabama, Department of the Cumberland. Battery E was mustered out of service July 30, 1865.
During the war, Battery E saw most of its action in Tennessee and Alabama.